Low Entropy Diary: What's in a name?
Some info and the background story how I ended up with my name... why I chose "low entropy" as the producer alias.
When I started, there was this weird attitude in the German hardcore (speedcore) scene, and probably elsewhere, too.
Trying to appear ultra evil, aggressive, "edge-y"... so artist names were usually horror / violence related too, i guess dj skull crunch or dj rip-your-guts-out would have fit there...
After reading a feature in the german Spex magazine, I got inspired to do the opposite, to pick a name with the least "street cred" or hardness possible (as I saw it).
i was (or still am) also a science nerd at that time. so i chose a concept from science and physics, entropy. the word was really unknown in germany, and i think it's only recently that there is a hype about entropy on the internet (even UK pop band muse had an entropy-themed album by now)
there are very few totally strict laws in the world of physics (even nuclear particles can be transmuted, and most other "laws" can be circumvented in some way), and one of these laws happen to be the idea that the universe favors entropy, and it is impossible to go against that.
so I chose the opposite of entropy, which is "low entropy". as an act of rebellion, and to go against the cosmic laws, metaphorically speaking.
and then, a few years later, nerd-y names suddenly became commonplace in the breakcore scene, and were everywhere. this made me wish to go back in time, and change my name to "dj skull crunch" after all! but i guess hindsight is 20/20, and the breakcore hype is mellowed down again.
i also thought about calling myself "phuture kid" at first, because i liked pcp and their whole "phuture" concept.
but nowadays i am glad that i did not do that! because i think that name might not have aged so well...
and another thing that was very (or ver-Y) important to me was to have an "Y" in my name. I always liked that letter, and I am super interested in strange names or odd letter concepts... like Zang Tumb Tuum (the record label of Frankie goes to Hollywood), Zoth Omnog (Talla 2XLC's industrial EBM label), zyx music (music supercompany, that also released a lot of gabber and speedcore stuff, apart from their industrial disco, goth, or polka compilations), ziggy stardust (david bowie supposedly "took" the first name of his berlin room mate iggy pop, then slapped an extra "z" on top of it to make it appear more cool), zaxxon (really cool early arcade game), exxos (french game company, did purple saturn day and the chamber of the sci-mutant priestess).
seems there are a lot of "z"s and "x"s in these surreal names. so maybe it was the right time to choose an "Y", too :-)
Some info and the background story how I ended up with my name... why I chose "low entropy" as the producer alias.
When I started, there was this weird attitude in the German hardcore (speedcore) scene, and probably elsewhere, too.
Trying to appear ultra evil, aggressive, "edge-y"... so artist names were usually horror / violence related too, i guess dj skull crunch or dj rip-your-guts-out would have fit there...
After reading a feature in the german Spex magazine, I got inspired to do the opposite, to pick a name with the least "street cred" or hardness possible (as I saw it).
i was (or still am) also a science nerd at that time. so i chose a concept from science and physics, entropy. the word was really unknown in germany, and i think it's only recently that there is a hype about entropy on the internet (even UK pop band muse had an entropy-themed album by now)
there are very few totally strict laws in the world of physics (even nuclear particles can be transmuted, and most other "laws" can be circumvented in some way), and one of these laws happen to be the idea that the universe favors entropy, and it is impossible to go against that.
so I chose the opposite of entropy, which is "low entropy". as an act of rebellion, and to go against the cosmic laws, metaphorically speaking.
and then, a few years later, nerd-y names suddenly became commonplace in the breakcore scene, and were everywhere. this made me wish to go back in time, and change my name to "dj skull crunch" after all! but i guess hindsight is 20/20, and the breakcore hype is mellowed down again.
i also thought about calling myself "phuture kid" at first, because i liked pcp and their whole "phuture" concept.
but nowadays i am glad that i did not do that! because i think that name might not have aged so well...
and another thing that was very (or ver-Y) important to me was to have an "Y" in my name. I always liked that letter, and I am super interested in strange names or odd letter concepts... like Zang Tumb Tuum (the record label of Frankie goes to Hollywood), Zoth Omnog (Talla 2XLC's industrial EBM label), zyx music (music supercompany, that also released a lot of gabber and speedcore stuff, apart from their industrial disco, goth, or polka compilations), ziggy stardust (david bowie supposedly "took" the first name of his berlin room mate iggy pop, then slapped an extra "z" on top of it to make it appear more cool), zaxxon (really cool early arcade game), exxos (french game company, did purple saturn day and the chamber of the sci-mutant priestess).
seems there are a lot of "z"s and "x"s in these surreal names. so maybe it was the right time to choose an "Y", too :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment