Sunday, September 27, 2026

Low Entropy's Producer Diary: Creating a remix of Filth for a Riot Radio


One day, in 2023, I had a most nice surprise. RIOT Radio Records reached out to me. They said they loved me (he he) and wanted me to do a DJ set for their show, and also a remix for their label.
It happened to be a remix of Matthias Koch's track "scream for me" which ended up on the "Filth" EP.

They asked it to be in "Doomcore" style, and as riot radio was more of a techno thang, I reined in my hardcore a bit and refrained from too much of speedcore or other strange influences.

so... where was I? Ah yes, the set was more "technoid" than usual for me too.
and when i checked the track that i was due to remix i was in for a shock: this was not the mellow techno anymore i knew from the past. in fact it sounded more hardcore and screaming than a lot of gabber stuff i knew!

So what could i do to it?
Plus it had a lot of sounds and channels, which made remixing it a quite complex task.
So I conceived this idea: i load some of the stems into my daw, add my own beats and noise and ruckus, and, yeah, hope that something interesting comes out from that.

And I still live jammed it! So there was this production curiosity:
I built my own, multi channel track as a remix of the original. But while live recording it, the entirety of the original track was always playing in the background of it! yet I only switched on and off some of the channels. So sometimes this or that channel was playing, some of my own channels were playing, and some original ones, then everything changed... yeah,quite the chaos.

And I think the output sounds like chaos too, which was what I had intended.

I liked to hear the full on noize of the track, but my label guy demanded "Doomcore".
So I had the following idea: i followed the tradition of doomcore tracks like "gates of heaven" by dr macabre, "in the midnight hour" my superpower. the doomcore pads and sounds and melodies come in over the length of a track, one at a time. so there is a build up until everything is swallowed by the - doom.

I thought this was very clever, but the label said: "the doomcore is really only in the last 1/3 of the track"
so much for that!

we tried ways to fix this, but as my track was live jammed, one take, i could not do much about it anymore.
In the end we more or less put it out this way.

Went on a nice picture vinyl, with other tracks by Matthias, and a few other remixes. there is also a digital version, and a shopping bag (!) with the picture from the vinyl.
the picture shows "a woman grabbing onto her chest", to describe it in modest words, which, i guess, should symbolize the "filth" of the tracks.
it does not look too dirty, but it's good to turn some people heads when i walk around with my filth shopping bag.

got some good feedback on the track, and it ended up being playing out by some DJs.

Digital and Vinyl version:
https://riotradiorecords.bandcamp.com/album/filth

No comments:

Post a Comment