Welcome!

Hello, and welcome to my homepage! It's split into 3 parts: 1. My blog / feed, where I talk about my music but also about random stuff. 2. "Releases and Activities", where I list projects and releases that I'm involved in, without all the banter. There is where you want to go if you are mainly interested in my music and activism. 3. And the rest of the menu above that links to my bio, labels, and so on. Enjoy your stay!

Saturday, January 27, 2024

I wrote a whole Techno album together with ChatGPT - and because I recorded and documented every step, you could, too!

Hello friends and strangers,
I've been exploring the possibilities and advantages of AI for around a year now - especially regarding the field of art and music production.
My "experiments and discoveries" now let to the creation and release of a complete full-length album.
Various styles can be found on this release, ranging from cosmic ambient stuff to acid, techno, and even a bit of Hardcore and Gabber (these genres are my 'sonic turf', basically).
I wrote all these tracks together with ChatGPT. Most tracks were written almost completely by ChatGPT. Others were written partly by the AI, and I 'finished' the rest of the track.
When I say written, I mean that ChatGPT came up with every note, sequence, structure of the respective track.
I typed its input into my DAW, and essentially served as the mere "mixing engineer" for the AI.

I already wrote a lot of stuff about this elsewhere.
What I want to point out is that all of this has been recorded and documented, including chat transcripts during the production sessions, comments, notes, remarks.
They have been put online as tutorials at lAibyrinth, and should be easy enough to use for a medium-to-high-level skilled producer, IMHO.

So, *you* should be able to produce tracks like this, or whole albums, too!
Or you could tweak the tutorials so you can produce tracks in different genres, like Synthwave, Indie Pop, Gothtronica or Berlin Techno, together with ChatGPT!

Why do I 'share' this for free? Well, good things in life come free, right? And I think AI is such an interesting field that needs to be explored more, especially by artist and musicians!
And should you adapt these "AI music experiments", and come across something interesting yourself, feel free to share it back to the community of AI enthusiasts :-)
TBH I think we can only get ahead in this 'era of AI music research' if people work together, and not if everyone tries to get somewhere on their own.

Note: While all of this was done using ChatGPT, I'm certain these 'techniques' would work with other ChatBot AIs as well.

2nd Note: Some people send me comments in the vein of "But I don't like the tracks you produced with ChatGPT!", adding "Because they sound bland" or "because I don't like Acid / Gabber", etc.

Listen, buster! Using the tutorials, you can write tracks together with ChatGPT that are more to your liking, or more in your preferred styles :-)

Now let's go through the tracks and tutorials step by step:

Album name:
DJ AI - The Cosmic Longing of an Artificial Soul (Omnicore Records 38)


Track 1:
Cosmic Longing of an Artificial Soul (Cosmic Vox) - 06:12

You can listen to it at: https://doomcorerecords.bandcamp.com/track/cosmic-longing-of-an-artificial-soul-cosmic-vox

Cosmic ambient style. Unlike the other tracks, ChatGPT just wrote around "two thirds" of the track, more like a draft, and I filled up the rest with my own ideas.
This could be interesting for people who do not want the AI to create "all" of their respective tracks.

The tutorial can be found here: https://laibyrinth.blogspot.com/2024/01/part-14-creating-draft-for-epic-cosmic.html


Track 2: The Advent of AI - 08:19
https://doomcorerecords.bandcamp.com/track/the-advent-of-ai

Almost completely written by ChatGPT, then recorded by me in a kind of "live jam". And all of this, from scratch to finish, took only 2 hours!
Acid techno style.

Tutorial: https://laibyrinth.blogspot.com/2024/01/tutorial-part-13-how-to-produce.html


Track 3. Cosmic Love's Surreal Fusion (Cosmic Crunch Instrumental) - 05:04
https://doomcorerecords.bandcamp.com/track/cosmic-loves-surreal-fusion-cosmic-crunch-instrumental

Happy Retro-Rave Hardcore style! Another track that was 99.9% created by ChatGPT.
It's been documented at: https://laibyrinth.blogspot.com/2023/09/how-to-write-music-with-chatgpt-part-5.html


Track 4: This Is The Moment (Video Version) - 04:02
https://doomcorerecords.bandcamp.com/track/this-is-the-moment-video-version

A Gabber / Hardcore type track. The tutorial is notable because ChatGPT took a lot of effort to design the sequencing and track structure.
Tutorial: https://laibyrinth.blogspot.com/2023/09/how-to-write-music-with-chatgpt-part-4.html


Track 5: The Advent of AI (Reprise) - 05:13
https://doomcorerecords.bandcamp.com/track/the-advent-of-ai-reprise
The reprise of the earlier track. So the tutorial linked above relates to this track, too!


Track 6: Cosmic Longing of an Artificial Soul (Extended Edit) - 14:52
https://doomcorerecords.bandcamp.com/track/cosmic-longing-of-an-artificial-soul-extended-edit
Extended edit of track 1. More cosmic ambient exploration. Check the 1st linked tutorial for this one, too!


7. The Advent of AI (Full Instrumental Edit) - 13:25
https://doomcorerecords.bandcamp.com/track/the-advent-of-ai-full-instrumental-edit
The "Full" version of the "advent of ai" track. Get into the techno groove!


8. The Advent of AI (Acapella) - 00:38

9. Cosmic Longing (Acapella) - 01:06

Just some AI generated "lyrics" (acapellas) to the first two tracks.

Oh, in case you wonder: "Who the heck is DJ AI?"
DJ AI is a persona. ChatGPT wrote the music. And I was the mixing engineer. Don't ask! It's complicated :-)

So, that's it! All tracks and all tutorials have been listed.
Hope this could be of some use to you.
And, if you manage to produce some cool music this way, or discover more exciting things in the world of AI music (as mentioned), feel free to let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment