Welcome!

Hello, and welcome to my homepage! It's split into 3 parts: 1. My blog / feed, where I talk about my music but also about random stuff. 2. "Releases and Activities", where I list projects and releases that I'm involved in, without all the banter. There is where you want to go if you are mainly interested in my music and activism. 3. And the menu on the side that links to my bio, labels, and so on. Enjoy your stay!

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

My Love Song Album

This is one of my strangest releases. In 2004, I wanted to turn my back on Hardcore and make Dream Pop and Ethereal instead. For a long time, nothing came out of it. In 2008, I finally came round to make backing tracks for a full album, I just needed a singer to complete it.
But then through twists and turns, I came to my senses again and started to listen to and produce Hardcore again, and said goodbye to the Pop idea. As you probably know.

Over the years, I thought I had lost the Pop track files, which was a bit sad for me, as I liked them.
Then I found a CD-R of a backup with these tracks on it, that I had completely forgot about.
The funny thing is, I noticed these tracks don't sound like Pop or Shoegaze at all, but rather very close to my later Doomcore sounds.
Dark, reduced synth pads, Techno / Electro beats, lots of reverb... just a little softer.
This instrumental album then became one of the first Doomcore Records releases, aptly named "Closest thing to Pop I have ever done", in 2013.

https://doomcorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/closest-thing-to-pop-i-have-ever-done

But after a while I thought, "I wanted to have an album with 'real songs', with lyrics and a singer". And as I could never find a singer for it, I decided to "sing" on it myself (more like Spoken Word actually).

So I did, and released the album on Bandcamp in 2017, using the name "The Doom Pop Album". Because that's what it is to me, something in between Pop music and Doomcore.

The theme of the album is "true love", and all 9 tracks on it are about love.

https://lowentropy.bandcamp.com/album/the-doom-pop-album

The story doesn't end here though. As the sounds were, as I said, very close to my Doomcore sounds, I decided to rework the instrumental tracks with a more brutal / noizy sound. The results were released in 2020 on Doomcore Records again, under the name "The Hardcore Reworks".

https://doomcorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-hardcore-reworks

But I wonder if, with that, we've heard the last of these tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment