Welcome!

Hello, and welcome to my homepage! It's split into 3 parts: 1. My blog / feed, where I talk about my music but also about random stuff. 2. "Releases and Activities", where I list projects and releases that I'm involved in, without all the banter. There is where you want to go if you are mainly interested in my music and activism. 3. And the menu on the side that links to my bio, labels, and so on. Enjoy your stay!

Monday, August 23, 2021

On Slowcore

On Slowcore

Before we released The Slowcore Compilation, I didn't know what Slowcore really was. Well, I understood the basic concept - slow Hardcore - but I didn't comprehend the scope of it, the full extent of it. When I did Slowcore tracks in the past, I thought, okay, I'm gonna do a Doomcore track and use a slow bassdrum; just like I sometimes use a 808 drum, or other choices.
Slowcore as a variation of Doomcore or Industrial Hardcore - and that's it.
But, take a genre like Speedcore for example. Speedcore evolved out of "normal" Hardcore and Gabber; but it is not just a variation of Gabber; it became it's own scene with it's own stars and followers, sounds and aesthetics.
I think Slowcore has the same potential; but even more so. Speedcore has certain limits to itself, because if you go faster, there are some drawbacks. For example, it's hard to do a calm or soft Speedcore track.
Slowcore has no such limits. You can go slow and really rough and distorted. Or you make a slow track with a soft drum. One track that is brutal and filled with noize. Or really tranquille. Melodic, ecstatic, sombre, technical cold.
Slowcore has all options.
But it goes beyond that. If you slow down your music, you eventually warp the understanding of what is considered music itself. At really slow speeds the sounds become disconnected and droney. But it's still Hardcore Techno music. Two things combined. So many ways to go. We're reaching avantgarde levels here.

So, yeah, Slowcore has the potential to become a scene of its own, with its own structures, concepts, subgenres, DJs - and parties maybe?

Slowcore can become a world of its own.

Join the Slowcore movement now!

No comments:

Post a Comment