Welcome!

Hello, and welcome to my homepage! It's split into 3 parts: 1. My blog / feed, where I talk about my music but also about random stuff. 2. "Releases and Activities", where I list projects and releases that I'm involved in, without all the banter. There is where you want to go if you are mainly interested in my music and activism. 3. And the menu on the side that links to my bio, labels, and so on. Enjoy your stay!

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

About The "Thy Kingdom Come" EP

Tracks:

Thy Will Be Done

When I adopt a melody, for example from a classical piece, I try to not change a single note, since I usually feel that it would falsify the melody - take its "magic" away. But for this track it was not quite the same...
I always liked the very popular composition "In The Hall Of The Mountain King" by Grieg. I especially enjoyed the chromatic part in the main motif; but the same motif also has diatonic elements, and, without taking anything from Grieg away, I always thought: what if the chromatic part was extended?
So this was my thought, and I pushed it away in the back of my brain.

Years passed...

Then one day I suddenly had a melody in my brain; and it was a purely chromatic variation of the motif! And I thought, this could sound interesting, and I should put it down in a track. But it was just a thought, and I didn't act on it immediately, but I kept returning to that thought.

Years passed...

I finally made the decision to use this melody variation in a track. I already had the plan to sit down in the studio and put it in action... but I didn't feel ready yet. Then, one night, I was watching TV, and one of the protagonists was whistling the original "In The Hall Of The Mountain King" melody! I knew I had to start working on that track the same night. And I did.

So, that's the story of the melody. As for the rest of the track... there is of course a huge Oldschool Hardcore influence, starting with the synth sound. It is especially inspired by classic Neophyte, Wavelan, Industrial Strength or Thunderdome tracks, and I'm sure fans of that music can feel the influence in my track.
Maybe more subtle, there is also a Hardtrance/Rave era influence, which can be seen in that classic Breakdown / Vocal Sample / Bass Drop element that is used in the climax(es) in the track.

After I had some "prototype" versions of this track ready, a friend suggested adding a more modern sound too, especially regarding the bassdrum, and I also add more main elements.
So I worked a lot on the bassdrum in this track and also gave it some live recorded tweaking, and I think it's one of the hardest bassdrums I ever did.

And of course, I tried to give that track also my typical "Doomcore" feel.

The track comes with two mixes on this EP; the "Full Force" mix has a much more extended build up in the middle parts.

The Doomsday Clock

What is the Doomsday Clock? The Doomsday Clock is a concept by the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists that symbolically measures the proximity of a global catastrophe that could wipe out mankind. It is referenced in movies like "Watchmen" or songs like "Russians" by Sting.

The ticking sound you can hear at the beginning and the end of the track is a reference to the clock, and I tried to give the whole track an apocalyptic Doomcore feel.

So we have a multi layered melody here, and an acidic noisy melody in the middle part. This is set in force with a overly distorted bassdrum which provides a heavy rhythm to the track. Noise and harmony mingle with each other as the track goes on.

A Hardcore track for apocalyptic Doom Heads.

Sternenstaub

Sternenstaub means "Star Dust" in English, and this track has a more dreamy feel. The idea here was to use a more complex melody for a track, and the melody also maybe reminds one of the feel of early 90s Techno and Trance tracks a bit.

There is also some Ambient in the works here, trying to give the track a kind of "cinematic" feel.
As for the drums, I once again tried to use more modern, "tweaked" drums in this track - that are once again heavy.

Overall, I tried to bridge several concepts with this EP:

First, the tracks are in a style I call "Doomed Industrial": a mix of Industrial Hardcore and Doomcore styles.

Second, while they incorporate Oldschool elements, they also aspire to have a more modern Hardcore sound.

Third, while they're partly in my typical "Low Entropy" way of doing sounds, I went way out of my comfort zone with this one (especially after suggestions of a friend), and I think you can already hear a possible future direction of my sound in these tracks.

So these are the tracks of my new EP. If you're curious how they sound, head over to:

No comments:

Post a Comment